Sa Gavina Tower, Formentera
The tower of Sa Gavina is one of the five defense towers that you can find on the island of Formentera.
The architecture of this tower is the same as the other towers of Formentera, and its construction dates back more than three centuries (1763).
It has a circular floor plan with two levels and also had a thief and matacán in its structure, although these have not survived to the present day.
It stood out until the 19th century, like the rest of the towers of Formentera and Espalmador, for its function of protecting its inhabitants from external attacks and enemy ships, usually pirates and bandits.
How to get to the Tower of Sa Gavina?
The tower of Sa Gavina can be reached in three ways:
- If you are in Can Marroig walk to the coast, look to your left and you will see the tower. From there you will have to walk approximately 1.5 kilometers.
- Following the road to Porto Saler, you can reach the vicinity of Punta Gavina, where the tower is located, although the road is in very bad condition for vehicles.
- Another option is, being on the beach of Cala Saona, you can walk about 3 kilometers north and you will find the tower.
Depending on what you feel like doing, you can reach the Torre de Sa Gavina on foot, by motorcycle, car or bicycle.
What to do in the Torre de Sa Gavina?
The area around the Torre de Sa Gavina is completely undisturbed and to reach it in any case you have to walk a few minutes, so it is the perfect place to escape the crowds.
If you visit the Tower, take the opportunity to:
- Walking and exploring the variety of vegetation of Formentera: rosemary, junipers, pines, etc.
- Ideal for picnics
- Enjoying the sunset
- Enjoying the view of Es Vedra and Ibiza
- Take a swim in the cliffs of the area.
Views of Ibiza and Es Vedrà
The tower of Sa Gavina is the closest to Ibiza and the islet of Es Vedrá, and is located at the westernmost point of Formentera, so the views of Es Vedrá are impressive (as you can see in the photo gallery).
The other defense towers of Formentera
The other defense towers of Formentera are:
- Sa Guardiola Tower (Espalmador)
- Tower des Pi des Català
- Garroveret Tower (Barbaria)
- Sa Punta Prima Tower